Monday 2 January 2012

New Year New goals




While most people are busy setting their new years resolutions, only to break them 2 weeks in to jan, I've spent the last 2 months thinking carefully about what i want to get from this new year.
At first i mostly thought about the business and where i wanted to take it into the new year, this has taken up the most of my thought power. I originally assumed that i wanted big things from 2012 and my small business, on quiet reflection, and after the 2 weeks of down time with the family I'm not convinced this is at all what i wanted.
Yeah sure i want to try new crafts and create pretty things but to sell? Hmmm I'm not to sure! i'm proud of what I've achieved over the last 12 months, especially with no time, money or experience but after the initial thought that id be able to make some kind of living from it I've decided that it will be taking a back seat. Yeah ill be evolving the business, there will be new stock and i WONT be hanging up my tools just yet, but it will be back to free time and if and when and more about the enjoyment instead of the hope ill make some money.
(my brain just took a massive sigh of relief now I've finally wrote that down!!)



My time and energy will be filtered into my home and my family and the hope i can change how we live.
Homeschooling is a pure joy and the girls are learning way beyond my expectations already and i want to grab that tighter and really instil a love of learning about the world. Expect more educational visits, bedraggled kids and tired parents! hahaha

Ive also decided that this year will be more about what we have and what we NEED not what we want. Im meal planning seasonally and will be shopping locally, the supermarkets, where humanly possible are officially BANNED!! Today will be my first visit to the greengrocer and butchers since 2009 when we moved miles away from any!! yes i can see this may be an issue but whats a short bus ride for produce grown and made in this country, i don't want to see the high street vanish all because its EASIER to walk to the end of the street for some potatoes.

Im also planning not to buy the girls toys or clothes at retail. We have that many toys we could stock Toys R Us anyway, and the majority haven't seen the light of day since we got them so with careful down sizing of the multiple toy boxes will provide a nice array or fun and educational toys and much less for me to tidy away!

Clothes wise we are lucky to have all girls within a few years of each other as we can easily pass clothes down the line. Apart from underwear, and shoes for the eldest we don't really need to buy brand new clothes anyway. Where i can't pass down i already buy from charity shops and ebay so that over the last 6 months has already saved a fortune and now armed with the cutest vintage sewing patterns, and some fab quick and easy tutorials for making wardrobe staples we shouldn't really need to step foot in a children's clothes shop ever again! (this makes my purse very happy)

We already use the library and charity shops for books, and sport a rather extensive children's library (maybe i could lend out books to the local kids for 10p a book!!!) which is an absolute god send!

Cooking, which I've grown to love over the last few years will now be ran like a military operation and all meals will be seasonal and cooked in bulk so i can batch freeze meals for when that overwhelming urge to have a take away takes hold.

Childrens tv will be limited to an hr at lunch and a dvd or two in the afternoon, hopefully in keeping with the topic of the week to make the most of our learning experience!



Crafting will become a more family affair, the girls have requested to learn what mummy does (how exciting!!)  they have asked to make their own toys and accessories for said toys and this i fully intend to make the most of. Not only does it save money, it gives them a skill they wouldn't have learnt other wise and ignites their imagination to create something they can't find elsewhere and means they can make their friends birthday and christmas presents. HOORAY!

Even though our handmade christmas, for others, went down like a barrel of snot i don't intend to give in and start buying gifts again. I more than enjoyed the whole experience and felt that what we gave where more personal to the receivers and i had hoped they would treasure them more than thoughtless shop bought gifts but it turns out i have ungrateful family and friends that just went "yeah thanks" or just completely bypassed the whole saying thank you of receiving, I am, after being slightly heartbroken about the whole thing, considering not even making gifts for anyone but our immediate family this year, i would really appreciate some feedback on this this, i am completely torn!!

i hope to blog more! The last 8 months i have been undertaking a ' nothing new for a year' challenge to try to change my clothes shopping habits. Its not been plane sailing but i haven't bought more than a handful of brand new items this year and in fact haven't really bought many clothes at all. Trouble is i started out with great intentions of blogging most days and having tutorials for makes etc but somehow i managed to loose inspiration or whatever a few months in and I've popped in and out with some ramblings and that was that.

Finally our home, which is still half a house! We have lived here for 2 years in 2 weeks, and hardly any of it has been decorated how i wanted or what makes it a home for us. Upstairs hasn't even been touched and the magnolia walls and cream carpets is starting to send me la la! The lounge is being redecorated over the next few months, the hall and downstairs loo is nice, they just need finishing touches to bring us into it. The kitchen is almost how i want it, pale pink and cosy but still needs those touches to complete it then maybe ill finally relax and live here instead of exsisting!  Then outside will get the finishing touches, red door complete with vintage door knocker, gated drive, roses round the door and a handmade door number on the wall (we keep getting lost... apparently!)

So yes i have made plans for 2012 but they aren't exactly what i originally thought they would be! i thought it'd be all books and plans and meetings and 'selling myself', instead its jumping in muddy puddles, painting, expanding our knowledge and laughing. I hope you'll agree i chose the better option!!

Heres to 2012 and that you all laugh more, love more, experience more and most importantly LIVE! Life is cruelly short and the best of the people we know are cruelly snatched away before we have the time to appreciate them fully for who they are, so take the ones you love, hold them close, tell them you love them then tell each other crappy jokes til your ribs hurt cos memories they last a life time!!

L xx

1 comment:

  1. I love this post.
    I so often have plans to make a business of making to sell, but seem to lack the conviction.
    Perhaps it is just that it is not the right time for me.
    I often pep talk myself about it being ok to just be 'mum'. I don't have to do it all.
    Why can't a mummy just be a mummy.
    The pressure to 'do it all' can just be so great sometimes.
    I am already (doing it all) as a SAHM. But by trying to make to sell aswell, I end up stressed and Not spending time with my little ones, who are only 3 and 5.

    Better to follow Your thoughts and plans to involve them, in as much as a 3 year old can, with some of the crafting.
    And our house?
    Boy does it need work!
    I could have written your post but I wouldn't have done it so well as you have.
    Thank you
    I must remember to refer back to it when I begin to pressure myself again.

    ReplyDelete